Although it is hard to believe, we have only a few weeks left to go in the year, so it is as imperative as ever for digital marketing teams to know which trends, strategies, and technologies are at the forefront of the digital landscape. As always, this year is poised to see some dramatic shifts. From the integration of artificial intelligence to the use of chatbots and personalized custom content, 2019 has a lot in store for us. In this article, we will explore which digital marketing trends are on the rise, why your business should use them, and how they will help you stay ahead of your competition.
- Voice Search and Audio Content is Popular: there is no doubt about it, smart speakers are popular and are here to stay with the majority of owners never wanting to revert back to a life without a controlled voice-assistant. As voice technology becomes more sophisticated and nuanced, we are going to see more companies creating monetized audio content and voice search for voice-assistant devices like Google Home, Apple Siri, and Amazon Alexa.
- You Will See Shorter Video Ads: due to an abundance of video content out on the web, consumers are developing shorter attention spans, which means developers have a shorter amount of time to get their message across before the audience loses interest. This year, we will see shorter ads that are near or below the ten-second mark.
- Chatbots Are Becoming Normalized: the novelty of chatbots are wearing off as more brands are using them for customer service roles. This is mainly because they offer a two-way communication channel 24/7 and are effective at producing mass communication. Combine this with the fact that they are relatively easy to make and are perfect for widespread use across multiple platforms like food delivery services, scheduling appointments, generating FAQ answers, and clothing store websites.
- Video Marketing Will Continue to Trend: videos are practically everywhere and studies show that they account for a massive portion of internet traffic. According to Social Media Today, not only do videos increase landing conversions by 80% but 90% of consumers use video to help them make buying decisions. Marketers can use Youtube and Instagram to run video ads, partner with influencers for product placement, and get endorsements from social media influencers.
- Don’t Forget About Live Video: with the rise of live streaming services like Instagram’s stories, Facebook’s live streaming, and Youtube Gaming, more internet users are gravitating towards watching these types of platforms. Consumers who has seen a live stream are far more likely to purchase a product, event ticket, or service if they know how it works or have seen its value in real-time.
- Brands Are Leaning Into Brutal Honesty: unfortunately, marketing has a negative stigma around it, with a lot of company’s and sales representatives being perceived as deceitful due to exaggerated product promises or unethical advertising practices. Beyond this, there is an abundance of information available online about brands, products, and businesses, which means more people are aware of the shortfalls of the services being provided. This has forced more companies to become purely transparent and brutally honest in what they are providing consumers. In addition to this, negative feedback is getting addressed directly and two-way communication channels are being opened up to help form better relationships between consumer and business.
- Mobile Advertising is a Must: according to Statista, there will be approximately 4.68 billion people using mobile phones by 2019 with the majority of these users spending their time on social media and mobile phone applications. With that many people using mobile phones, mobile marketing is a must for digital marketers.
Beyond these seven digital marketing trends, look out for the rise of visual search where users can upload an image to conduct a search to get specific results and the subtle art of influencer marketing. Although influencers may not openly endorse products, long-term relationships are being forged to produce organic endorsements that are generally more accepted and well perceived by consumers. If you combine and use the above digital marketing trends, you’re going to be able to surpass your competition while catering to your audience in a more authentic and direct way.